Update: Unity SDK is now generally available and verified by Unity
We’re excited to announce that the new Zendesk SDK for Unity is now generally available. This SDK lets you bring the power of Zendesk to your Unity mobile games.
This SDK is the first customer service SDK to be verified by Unity to work seamlessly with Unity games. Click here to download it directly from Unity’s Asset Store.
For more details check the official announcement here.
Update: General Availability of the Unity SDK
Since launching the EAP in May, we’ve seen strong interest in this SDK and received great feedback on our early releases of it. We’re happy to announce that the SDK will be generally available in late November. Please hit the button above to follow this page to receive further updates.
What is the Zendesk SDK for Unity?
In-app native support helps your customers stay engaged with your app for longer. Zendesk has been supporting the business to end-user relationships for over a decade and we know that customers expect seamless, fully integrated omnichannel support.
We also know that messaging creates a personal connection with customers looking for support. Messaging is a fast and effective way of offering help without interrupting the customer experience or moving them away from your app or game.
The Zendesk SDK for Unity allows your game development teams to integrate the complete Zendesk support capabilities natively into your Unity 3D game. It makes it as simple as dragging and dropping.
What’s the Zendesk SDK for Unity EAP (Early Access Program)?
Zendesk is working to launch a native Unity3D SDK. This was driven by our mission to enable the best in-app, personalized embedded customer experiences for mobile-focused businesses.
We’re now about to release the first version of the Zendesk SDK for Unity. However, before we roll it out to everyone, we’re offering this Early Access Program to give some of our customers early access to the new SDK. The objective is to work closely with you to make improvements to the integration experience and get your feedback as we continue to build the core functionality.
Zendesk maintained an open-source, platform-proprietary Unity3D wrapper for a while before dropping support for it in 2016. Since then, we listened to your feedback, feature requests, and pain points using this wrapper and similar solutions.
Based on this feedback, we built the first-ever native Unity Support SDK. We established three core priorities:
- Customer Focus: We are tuned to the needs of you, our customers, and are pairing this with our years of experience building iOS and Android SDKs.
- All Native: Every Support SDK built so far has been wrapped iOS or Android SDKs, not a native Unity SDK. This native solution will keep your customers engaged in the game rather than diverting them to external email service and will keep your developers focused on game development rather than compatibility issues.
- Simplicity: Game developers are busy making games and that is what they should be doing. Using our drag-drop solution will make integrating Zendesk customer service capabilities very simple and straightforward.
The Zendesk SDK for Unity will:
- Empower developers to integrate Zendesk Support and Help Center EUX into their games natively, in minutes.
- Allow gamers to read Help Center articles and contact support agents from inside their game.
Is this available to all Zendesk customers?
Yes, this Early Access Program is available to any Zendesk customer with an active subscription. Nonetheless, below are some things that each customer should consider before requesting to join the EAP.
Some features won't be available
The Early Access Program, as the name says, is an early release of the SDK. Some features that are available in the existing Zendesk SDKs are not available in the initial release of the new Unity SDK EAP.
The following features are not available in the initial release of the Unity SDK EAP:
- Answer Bot capabilities
- Push notifications
- Searching Guide articles
Over the coming months, we’ll be working to deliver missing features. We’ll be releasing incremental updates throughout the EAP, meaning you’ll get these features gradually.
You're expected to work closely with us during the EAP
Here are a few things we ask of customers participating in the Early Access Program:
- Report any bugs and expedite the release of new versions containing fixes.
- Give us ongoing feedback on the accuracy of the provided documentation.
- Be open to working very closely with us. Your engineers and product team will need to work with us during the EAP to ensure the success of your implementation. Be prepared to provide us with quick feedback and have your engineers and product teams committed to the success of this implementation. We might also ask you to take part in some screen-sharing sessions to understand how you’re using the SDKs and give feedback.
- When you achieve success, be a case study and talk about how the Unity SDK delivers value to you and your customers.
This is beta software - can I trust releasing it into my production apps?
Despite the fact that this is an Early Access Program, legally under Zendesk Beta Software Agreement, we take the quality of our SDKs EAPs with the utmost seriousness. Every component of our code is fully tested and vetted through the same process used for our General Availability production software. Although there's no way of guaranteeing that you won't face issues (as it happens with any type of software), we're very confident about the quality of this SDKs EAP release.
From this perspective, the main objective of this Early Access Program is not to validate the quality of the software, but to validate the integration steps, documentation, and the features we’re releasing.
Note that as early access software, not all features are complete yet. See “Some features won't be fully available" above.
Ready to take part?
All you have to do is fill in some information and you're ready to go! We’ll review all responses and then select eligible partners for the first phase of this EAP.
What happens after I register?
The Zendesk SDK for Unity EAP will be rolled out in stages. Zendesk will select the customers to include in the EAP following internal criteria. This means that some customers might take a little longer to get access to the EAP. Don't worry! The program is designed to give you an awesome experience during the early access stage.
As soon as a customer is selected, we’ll partner closely with its team to understand their experiences with integrating the Zendesk SDK for Unity into your mobile application. Zendesk will also provide support for you at this early stage, with direct access to the team that's developing the SDK.
Please sign in to leave a comment.